Friday, July 5, 2024

Glashcu

Did any of you ever see the last Indiana Jones movie? Do you remember the parade for the astronauts? That was filmed in Glasgow. The city has been in many movies because it is laid out in a grid, and it resembles how we would expect a large city to look a century ago. It has been used by Hollywood not only to portray itself, but also Edinburgh in Trainspotting, New York, Philadelphia, and Gotham. That was according to the live guide between stops 7 and 16 on the hop-on, hop-off Red Bus tour that I took yesterday afternoon before coming back to my room and sleeping for 10 hours. 

Here's the Duke of Wellington in front of the Museum of Modern Art. The traffic cone made me trip on a step. Apparently, it's a fixture.

By the time I started my bus tour, most of the museums were closing or closed. I did get to walk through the St. Mungo Museum, the Glasgow Cathedral, and the Museum of Modern Art, but Kelvingrove was closing by the time the bus arrived. Here are some highlights from the tour.




St. Mungo, the patron saint of Glasgow, is buried in a church beneath the cathedral, in a parallel to St. Francis in Assisi. He is said to have resurrected a bird, so that mural on High Street is a portrait of St. Mungo.
Photo credit: unknown. Swiped from a Google image search.














The course is over, and since Boston was canceled, I am finished teaching IR for this year. During the course recap lunch yesterday, we talked about offering it in the spring of 2025 instead of summer or fall since we already have many registrants interested in taking it this year. However, we will hold off on making a decision until just before SciX and other spectroscopy conferences start this fall. (I hate to miss SciX since it will be in Raleigh this year and there are some dear friends who I would love to catch up and have dinner with, but such is life.)

One last thing. Lonza called. Details to come, but I have been asked to save the date for July 22. Stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog