Friday, September 19, 2025

Hält dieser Bus in Forsthaus?

There has not been much of a chance to breathe here in Switzerland, but I accomplished most of my work missions. Now that they are done, I am finally able to relax, but now it's time to go. Switzerland was beautiful but this experience has been stressful and hectic. 

Most of my Swiss colleagues are sweet and delightful. Others are...intense. One in particular is very intense. He is early/mid-career, so I suspect his urgency comes from a drive to achieve and/or a place of insecurity, but whatever is causing it, it's palpable. I watched a young colleague push back against him about a particular request that was coming across as micromanagement, and that, friends, is at the deepest root of why I am here. Who are these people and how do I navigate these relationships to get things done? They argued. Both sides conceded appropriately and walked away satisfied. That is how it is done...noted.

Here's what else I have learned:

The road to Zeneggen Kirche from Visp Bahnbof may be short on the map, but the trip takes 20 minutes. The road is narrow and terrifying with its 180-degree switchbacks.

Three nights at Hotel Alpenblick were fully worth the scary trip, despite the need to navigate the more sparse bus schedule to and from Visp.

Hotel Alpenblick, does not have a lift, but Christoph, the owner and chef, will race up and down the stairs with your suitcase before you know what is happening. There is no AC, but there's no need. The air is cold at this altitude, and the door and windows open so that the wind rushes through. It gets pretty chilly.

The longer balcony down one level from the top was mine.
If you ask AI to generate an image of a Swiss alpine chalet, you pretty much get Alpenblick.

https://youtube.com/shorts/VZp9zvC5qxc?si=9Q874rRiQ36E3qBy

I thought I was hearing lots of wind chimes from my balcony, but I wasn't. I was hearing goats with bells around their necks.

https://youtube.com/shorts/_i7H1a_Ry38?si=WwTUGjPod2z_w1ki


When you make mistakes speaking German, the Swiss will promptly correct you and move on instead of looking at you like you are funny, as Spanish speakers often do. They are being helpful.

Public transportation runs on time, with grumpy urgency and zero forgiveness. If you think you might miss your connection, then you had better sprint. Google, on the other hand, will cheerfully tell you correctly when trams are crowded and hot. Very few public spaces are air conditioned, and that includes chemistry pilot plants, development labs, and public transportation with standing room only.

More later.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog