I put 70 miles on my new bike this weekend. The sweet owner of my Airbnb also has an ebike ("I was a skeptic, but then I rode one and felt like Super Woman," she said), and she showed me how to get to Sisters on the back roads (a total of 33 miles) on Saturday. I'll go ahead and refer to her by her Airbnb name, "Braveheart," since I haven't told her about this blog yet. She might want to preserve her privacy.
On Sunday, I met my new supervisor for coffee and confirmed that I would be splitting my time between the Tumalo and Bend labs, so I took a meandering ride to the Tumalo site from my studio. It's an easy 20 minutes. The ride to Bend will take about twice as long, but it isn't hot at all, and so this is really pleasant. I wandered around a lot longer on the bike, ended up on a sandy dirt road, and took my first spill...sand is slick! My body and my bike are unharmed, so all's well that ends well. Wouldn't you know I captured it on video, too? The GoPro is also unharmed, thank goodness. I am still working out how to make the best movies of my bike rides (apologies for the dizzying camera position adjustments during this ride...it was only meant to be experimental footage), but here's the clip of my spill!
Here are Braveheart's ranch goats. They are wondering what I have brought for them to eat :-)
I had dinner last night with another new-to-Bend Austin-Texan. The restaurant was Jackson's Corner. It was mostly good. We are going to start working our way through the reasonably priced restaurants in Bend and this general area. We'll try to go to some of the festivals, too!
Last, some miscellaneous photos and the lunch bag drawings I completed this weekend. Have a good week everyone!
Not pictured in the bike setup: the saddle bag on the far side and the new rearview mirror that I mounted on the left grip yesterday. Isn't this a pretty bike? I think I'll call her Monica. Braveheart said, "Do you want to use a hose to keep her clean?" I think not so much. I'll wipe down the disk brakes and front suspension, but if she gets dirty, that just makes her less tempting to thieves.










No comments:
Post a Comment